MOFA FAMILY VISIT VISA REQUIREMENTS, FEES & APPLICATION PROCESS
By Deb Pati last updated on May 24, 2021
There are many types of Saudi visas. A family Visit Visa or Mofa Family Visit Visa can be issued to an immediate family member of the legal residents or citizens of KSA. This is specifically meant for family members to be able to visit KSA and stay or spend time with their family.
There are two types of Mofa Family Visit Visa.
|Number of Entries
Validity vs Duration of Saudi Visit Visas
I have been getting a lot of comments on this, so let me clarify. Not just the MOFA family visit visa, lots of visas in the world come with a validity period, and a duration.
Validity decides by when can you enter the country.
Duration decides the duration the visa gives you can stay in the country before the validity expires.
So for example, let’s say the visa is stamped on Jan. 2022.
It has multiple entries and expires on 21-01-2024.
In this case, the visa holder can enter any day before 21-01-2024. But the duration starts when you enter. So if you enter on 10-02-2022, then that’s when the count starts.
- The multiple entry visa is valid for 1 year after it is stamped.
- The single-entry visa is valid for 90 days from the date of stamping.
Family Visit Visa MOFA Approval Validity
Once you get the Family Visit Visa MOFA Approval, you need to get the stamping done within 90 days from the date of approval.
Table of Contents
- COVID Update: Stamping MOFA Family Visit Visa in Dubai for Indians
- Who can Get MOFA Family Visit Visa for Saudi Arabia?
- How to Apply Mofa Family Visit Visa?
- How much Does a Saudi Family Visit Visa Cost?
- How to Check Your Family Visit Visa Status Online?
- Can You Extend Family Visit Visa for Saudi Arabia?
- Do You Need Health Insurance for KSA Family Visit Visa?
- KSA Family Visit Visa Rejection Reasons
- MOFA Family Visit Visa F.A.Q.S
COVID Update: Stamping MOFA Family Visit Visa in Dubai for Indians
Update: Now the Saudi embassy in Delhi is stamping the visas. But if you already are in Dubai or already purchased the tickets, you can stamp it there.
To get the Family visit visa stamping in Dubai, you first and foremost need to get the visit visa approved.
And give Dubai as option or destination while applying for visa.
Then check whether you need a visa for Dubai or not. If you are an Indian, go through the article on Dubai tourist visa from India to learn how to get a visa for Dubai. Since the quarantine requirement is for 14 days, get a 30-day UAE tourist visa, as arriving and departing dates are not counted in UAE.
No need for any residential ID.
Once you are in Dubai, you need to quarantine and do the PCR test as per the government requirements and then go for the Saudi visit visa stamping.
Check on the latest developments on this as this can change without any notice.
You need the following documents:
- Online visa
- Original Passport(Minimum Validity 6 Months) and old passports if any
- Photographs(6×4 And Background Should Be White)
- Sponsor’s passport copy
- Sponsor’s Iqama copy- valid for at least 90 days
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth Certificate
Once done, buy a flight ticket from Dubai to Saudi Arabia and leave.
Who can Get MOFA Family Visit Visa for Saudi Arabia?
A family visit visa is issued to immediate family members only. So if you are a legal Saudi resident or citizen, only the following people are eligible for a family visit visa.
- Father-in-law and mother-in-law
- Husband or wife
- Brothers/Sisters of foreign wives/husbands married to Saudis
This means the following family members can’t get a Mofa family visit visa.
- Grand parents
If you ask me, grand parents should be considered immediate family members, but I digress. Maybe some day, that will change.
This article is written from the point of view of a legal resident of Saudi Arabia. The process is same if you are a citizen. The only difference will be that you would be filling in everything in Arabic and you won’t need an Iqama.
Are All Professions Eligible for Saudi Family Visa?
One of the deciding factors in the KSA Family Visa is the profession of the Iqama holder in KSA.
Unfortunately, not all professions are eligible to sponsor a family visa.
And the profession that your Iqama says is the only one that matters, not what you have studied or what you did before coming to KSA or that you do something in your company that doesn’t go with your Iqama.
With help of some fellow expats, I have compiled an article that contains the complete list of professions that can sponsor KSA Family Visa, and the process to change your Iqama profession.
Please go through the article before commenting.
Can You Bring Wife’s Brother/Sister on Saudi Family Visit Visa
There has been a very recent announcement that now you can apply for a family visit visa for your brother, sister, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. So hopefully the option will soon be available online.
But it is not yet finalized. I will update the article when it is fully implemented.
Now, some expats swear that they have been able to apply under the “other” option and mentioned brother/sister there. But I can’t really assure you how true is that. So you can give that a shot or wait for the new rule to be implemented.
How to Apply Mofa Family Visit Visa?
A Saudi Family visit visa application is a process that involves separate processes for the family member living in Saudi Arabia and the applicant who is outside Saudi Arabia.
In order to get the family visit visa, an Iqama holder has to initiate the process in Saudi Arabia. The Iqama holder’s dependents cannot themselves apply for a visit visa application using their own Iqamas.
Various websites often open in Arabic. Try to see change the language to English by clicking on the option on the top left corner.
1. Apply For Family Visit Visa at MOFA Online
The resident Iqama holder has to submit an application for the family visit visa on behalf of the visitor. For this, the Iqama should be valid for at least 4 months.
In order to apply for Saudi family visit visa, the very first step would be to start the process on the official visa services platform.
On Visa Services Platform
Choose Individuals, and select your category. Note that if you select citizen, you would need to fill in the whole application in Arabic.
Select Resident and then click on the “Family Visit Visa Application for Residents”.
You will be forwarded to the application page. Click on “I agree”.
Enter Iqama Holder’s Residency Number (Iqama Number). You can apply for multiple visitors by adding different visitors in the same application
You need to fill in the personal details and visa details such as
- Visa Type: Single or Multiple Entry
- Border Number (Handwritten Number on Passport Stamped Pages)
- Sponsor Details: Address, City, Email and Mobile
- Visitor info: DOB, Passport number, Nationality, Religion
- Relationship with Visitor
Make sure to write your email correctly and your mobile number using 00966 & mobile number.
2. Get Approval from Sponsor/The Chamber of Commerce
Once the Saudi legal resident/Iqama holder has printed out the MOFA online visit visa application form, he/she can take it to the sponsor to sign and stamp the document.
The Saudi Chamber of Commerce can also attest the MOFA application form if required for private company workers. Chamber of commerce attestation is done online by sponsor company or kafeel.
3. Send Completed Form/Visa Number to Visitor
Once signed and stamped by the sponsor, usually it takes a week or less for the status to be reflected in the MOFA portal. You can check the status of the MOFA visa application using the application number and your ID number.
If the visa application has been granted, you can send the scanned copy of the completed, signed, and stamped application form to your family member applying for the Family Visit Visa outside Saudi Arabia.
4. Register & Pay for Family Visit Visa at the Enjazat Website
Now is the time for your family member to create an account at the Enjazat website.
Once you create it, you will get an email to activate it. Make sure to check the Spam folder.
On the Enjazat Website you would need to search for the application using the application number and your passport number.
You can pay using a Visa/Master credit card.
5. Submit Documents to Saudi Embassy/Visa Agency
Depending on where you are, you might be able to get the visa along with your passport by mail or in person. Usually, a family visit visa can take up to 3 days or more depending on each individual case.
Note that Saudi Arabia has a list of approved agencies all over the world to apply for a visa. Don’t get fooled by some neighbourhood agency and lose your hard-earned money. If you can’t find an approved agency, write to the Saudi consulate in your country and ask them about it.
Requirements for Saudi Family Visit Visa from the Applicant
- Copy of sponsor Iqama holder’s passport
- Valid International Passport (Minimum 7 months validity remaining) for the applicant
- Copy of the Iqama or residency permit for the sponsor
- 4 passport size photos
- Apostilled copy of National ID card of the applicant
- Marriage certificate which you might need to apostille
If applying for in-laws
- Apostilled marriage certificate for the sponsor
- Apostilled copy of birth certificate of son/daughter
- Family Book If Necessary
6. KSA Visit Visa Stamping
Visa stamping process can be different in different countries. You can get the visa stamped in your home country (which should be your first choice) or in another country.
KSA Visit Visa Stamping in Philippines
In Philippines, you would need to schedule appointment for visa stamping (VFS Tahseel). Make sure to check if they are asking for any extra documents.
Visit Visa Stamping in India
In India, the Saudi consulates of Delhi and Mumbai stamp the Saudi visit visa. Usually, Delhi consulate is said to be a little faster than Mumbai.
Saudi Family Visit Visa Stamping in Pakistan
Etimad is the official partner to process your application and get the visa stamped. Note that they usually take your original documents like marriage certificate along with your passport and give it back once the visa is stamped.
This is a sample Saudi visa for family visit.
How much Does a Saudi Family Visit Visa Cost?
The cost of Single Entry and Multiple Entry KSA Family Visit Visas are fixed at 300SR.
How to Check Your Family Visit Visa Status Online?
Visit the MOFA SA website: https://visa.mofa.gov.sa/
Scroll down and enter the application number and ID number to inquire the status of your visa application.
In the next page, you will be able to see whether it is approved. If it is under process or rejected, you will see a red line text in Arabic. Once the visa is approved, you will be able to see the following information on a new page.
You will see the visa duration, application details and visa number.
Can You Extend Family Visit Visa for Saudi Arabia?
Yes, it is possible to extend Family visit visa for KSA.
A single entry family visa can be extended 5 times, for a total stay in Saudi Arabia for 180 days. A multiple entry visa can be extended for 90 days at a time. Note that you can get only 180 days at a time. After that you need to leave the KSA and re-enter.
A lot of people leave for Baharin or Dubai, and return back before visa expires on passport.
For this, you need to apply through the Absher portal. But chances are there that the extension through the portal wouldn’t work or you will get error messages.
In that case you need to visit one of the Jawazat offices in Dammam or Jeddah or the one closest to you, with the required documents such as
- A copy of your passport bio page and Iqama
- A copy of your wife/husband’s passport bio page and visa
- A printout of Saudi family visa extension application in Absher
- Printout of the error messages in Absher
You would need to carry a copy of the Jawazat appointment. No need to have same day appointment. You just need appointment to enter into building.
Can You Extend Family Visa in Saudi Arabia on Expired Iqama?
As per the General Directorate of Passports(Jawazat), the expiry of Iqama or residence permit does not prevent someone from extending the family visit visa of their relatives.
Extending Multiple Entry Saudi Visit Visa after 270 Days
It is possible to extend the multiple entry KSA visit visa after 270 days, which means after 3 extensions.
Do You Need Health Insurance for KSA Family Visit Visa?
Whether it is a single entry or multiple entry Saudi family visit visa, you do need to have insurance. Now, you can’t get this insurance from wherever you want.
The ministry of the Interior authorizes a very limited number of insurance companies to sell health insurance for a Family Visit Visa.
- BUPA Arabia
- Al Rajhi Insurance
- Arabian Shield
- AXA Cooperative
- Allied Cooperative
- Saudi United Cooperative
The insurance cost varies as per the sex, age and medical background of the visitor applicant. Right now, the prices are between 30 SR and 100 SR.
What Does a Family Insurance Cover?
The family insurance covers covers treatment for emergency cases. You can use it in the case of emergencies, traffic accidents, repatriation after death, dialysis, problems of pregnancy etc.
For cases of hospitalization, room, doctor and nursing services, and life support, the policy limi is set to 600 SR per day.
It doesn’t cover medication and drugs, and childbirth without complications.
How to Apply for Saudi Family Visit Visa Insurance?
Compare the policies of different insurance companies, and when you are ready with one, then enter the visa details and other relevant personal details of the applicant and pay the fees.
If later you want to extend the coverage for a Multiple Entry Family Visit Visa , you can log in to the same Insurance company portal and extend it.
How to Check the Validity of the Family Visit Visa Policy?
Head over to the CCHI website, to check the validity of your Family Visit Visa policy.
- Choose Inquire About Visitor Insurance
- Then click Service Link
- Enter Visitor Passport Number & Captcha Code
KSA Family Visit Visa Rejection Reasons
A Saudi family visit visa might be rejected for various reasons such as
- The applicant’s profession has no entitlement. Make sure that your job title appears on the MOFA list of professions that are entitled to get visas. If you are not, only your sponsor can change it.
- Writing Atheists as your religion when filling in the application.
- Making mistakes with application details.
- Although not official, various professions such as house driver, normal workers etc. that are related to manual labor often get their visas rejected. If you have some certificates, you might be able to change your job title.
It costs 1000 riyal to change profession.
MOFA Family Visit Visa F.A.Q.S
1. There is one single Word ( name ) difference from passport name to Visa issued paper. Can I stamp my visa and come to KSA or will there be any issue?
The name on the visa and the passport should be exactly the same. You should apply for the visa once again. No need to cancel anything.
2. There is just one spelling mistake due to which my name on the marriage certificate and passport don’t match? Will it be ok?
No it won’t be ok. All the relevant documents including visa should have same name.
3. My name is spelled wrong in my daughter’s passport? My name is Khanzada and the passport says Khanzda. Will it affect the family visit visa?
Yes it will. Change it.
4. I applied for a family visit visa with a destination as Dubai for which the Visa document was issued. But my family didn’t travel. Do I need to cancel the visa to apply for a new destination?
No need to cancel. Just reapply.
6. Should my spouse have my name on the passport to apply for a visit visa?
Not really. Marriage certificate is good enough.
7. My husband is inviting my parents on a visit visa. What documents do we need to provide for proof of relationship?
Along with the Iqama and passport of the husband and other documents, in this case, copies of wife’s passport, Iqama and NIC as well.
8. There is an “occupation” part in the application which remains red and cannot be filled out. How can I proceed with my application?
The occupation should be filled in Arabic. For example, if your son is a student, you can simply translate ‘student’ to Arabic using Google translate and paste it there. If your wife is a housewife, simply translate, copy and paste.
9. Do I need to get Nikah Nama attested for Visit Visa?
There are contradicting accounts to this. There are people who were able to get the visit visa without any attestation, so it is definitely not a requirement. That being said, it is better to get it attested to eliminate any cause of rejection.
In Pakistan, you can get barcode attestation from MOFA.
In Philippines, you can apostille the marriage contract in DFA manila.
10. Do I need an unmarried certificate for my daughter who is older than 18?
Yes, you do. For example, if you are applying in Pakistan, then Etimad( the official partner for KSA visas in Pakistan) will ask you for a statement which is printed on stamp paper (50 RS).