The spiritual significance of Laylatul Qadr
What is Laylatul Qadr?
Laylatul Qadr is also referred to as Night of Power. It is the holiest night in Ramadan which comes in the last 10 days of Ramadan. The exact date of Laylatul Qadr is unknown. The sacredness of Laylatul Qadr is mentioned in Quran, where it is stated that Laylatul Qadr is better than a thousand months. It was the night on which Quran was revealed to the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him). It is also believed to be the night in which Allah shows great mercy on his creation.
When is Laylatul Qadr?
The night on which laylatul Qadr falls is not known however according to the Islamic beliefs, it will fall on one of the odd nights of the Last 10 days of Ramadan. Its means it will be on the 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th, or 29th night of Ramadan. If we sincerely pray for forgiveness, reciting the Holy Quran and sending Salawat (blessing upon the Prophet), and offering nafl prayers are beneficial acts of worship on these nights.
The Prophet (PBUH) said” I came out to inform you about (the date of) the night of Al Qadr, but as so and so and so and so quarreled, its knowledge is taken away (I forget it) and may be its better for you. Now look for it in the 7th, the 9th, and the 5th (of the last 10 nights of the month of Ramadan).” Hadith No: 236, Sahih bukhari.
The spiritual benefit of this sacred Night
- Muslims have strong in that night of Laylatul Qadr is unlike any other night. The rewards that we can earn on this night cannot be equated with the ones you will get throughout your life.
- The holy Quran (97:5) mentions, “Surely, we have revealed to you the Grand Night, and what will make you comprehend what the grand night is? The grand night is better than a thousand months. The angels and the spirit descend in it by the permission of their Lord for every affair. It is till the break of the morning.”
- According to Hadith on Laylatul Qadr, if a person sincerely prays to Allah on this night is forgiven by Allah for his/her past sins.
- Ibn Abbas reported that the Prophet (PBUH) said regarding the Night of Decree,” It is a calm night, neither hot nor cold, and the sun arises on it red and feeble.” [Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah 2049]
- Do the good deeds and celebrate the Laylatul Qadr with full devotion, this night is significant for Muslims as on this day the Holy Quran was revealed on the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH). Hence reciting the Holy Quran is among the good deeds that one can perform on this sacred night.
What are the signs of Laylatul Qadr?
Some signs of this night, many Muslim scholars have spoken of certain phenomena occurring on Laylatul Qadr
- It is said that as the angels descend on this night, we may feel peculiar tranquility and peace of mind and be overwhelmed with a unique tenderness of heart.
This night is neither very hot nor very cold but a temperature one.
What should we do on this night?
- Itikaaf: Remain in Itikaaf, this is the best way of making the most of the rewards during the last ten nights of Ramadan.
- It is very important to spend as much time in prayer and worship as possible.
- Give charity and pay the Zakat in this holy month of Ramadan.
Make dua and seek forgiveness